Arts & Economic Prosperity IV - About
About Arts and Economic Prosperity IV
Arts and Economic Prosperity IV (AEP IV) is a nationwide research study by Americans for the Arts. This study evaluates the impact that spending by nonprofit arts and humanities organizations and their audiences has on their local economy. It also evaluates the impact of the recession on the employment and government revenues that are generated by the nonprofit arts and culture industry.
In 2010, Americans for the Arts published a call for communities interested in participating in the Arts & Economic Prosperity IV study. The Arts and Humanities Council of Montgomery County (AHCMC), in concert with other local arts councils in the D.C. metropolitan area as convened by the Cultural Alliance of Greater Washington, opted again to participate in the AEP IV study.
How this data was tabulated
As one of 200 study partners across all 50 U.S. states and the District of Columbia, AHCMC facilitated the gathering of detailed economic and event attendance data from nonprofit arts and culture organizations in Montgomery County during 2011. Surveys were also distributed and collected at a wide variety of arts and culture events around the county. In Montgomery County, a total of 930 valid and usable audience-intercept surveys were collected from attendees to nonprofit arts and culture performances, events and exhibitions during 2011.
For more information about AEP IV's research methodology, download Americans for the Arts' Detailed Study Methodology Guide [PDF, 252KB].
List of participating organizations
In Montgomery County, 73 of the approximately 388 total eligible nonprofit arts and culture organizations participated in this study -- an overall participation rate of 19%. The organizations that participated are below:
- Act Two Performing Arts
- Adventure Theatre
- AFI Silver Theatre and Cultural Center
- American Dance Institute
- Art Glass Center at Glen Echo
- Artpreneurs, Inc. dba Arts on the Block
- Arts and Humanities Council of Montgomery County
- Arts for the Aging, Inc. (AFTA)
- ArtStream, Inc.
- Baltimore Symphony Orchestra (at Strathmore)
- Bel Cantanti Opera Company
- BlackRock Center for the Arts
- Cambodian Buddhist Society Cultural Group (CBSCG)
- Cantate Chamber Singers
- Chevy Chase Historical Society
- City Dance
- City of Gaithersburg
- City of Rockville
- ClancyWorks Dance Company
- Class Acts Arts, Inc.
- Coral Cantigas
- CREATE Arts Center
- Damascus Theatre Company, Inc.
- Dance Exchange Inc
- Docs In Progress
- F Scott Fitzgerald Literary Conference Inc.
- Friends of the Library, Montgomery County, Maryland, MD
- Friends of the Yellow Barn Studio, Inc,
- Gandhi Brigade
- Glen Echo Park Partnership for Arts and Culture, Inc.
- Heritage Tourism Alliance of Montgomery County
- Imagination Stage
- Institute of Musical Traditions
- International Conservatory of Music, Inc.
- Jazz Academy of Music
- Jewish Community Center of Greater Washington Arts and Culture Division
- Levine School of Music
- Lumina Studio Theatre, Inc.
- Maryland Classic Youth Orchestras
- Maryland Youth Ballet, Inc.
- Metropolitan Ballet Theatre, Inc.
- Montgomery Community Television, Inc.
- Montgomery County Dept. of Parks
- Montgomery County Historical Society
- Musical Arts International
- National Capital Historical Museum of Transportation, Inc.
- National Council for the Traditional Arts - Maryland programs ONLY
- National Philharmonic
- Nrityanjali Inc
- Olney Theatre Center
- Pyramid Atlantic
- Robert E. Parilla Performing Arts Center-Montgomery College
- Round House Theatre
- Sandy Spring Museum
- Silver Spring Stage
- Society of Kunqu Arts, Inc.
- Strathmore Hall Foundation, Inc.
- Symphony of the Potomac (SOTP)
- Takoma Park Folk Festival
- Takoma Park JazzFest
- The Bach Sinfonia
- The Musical Theater Center
- the Puppet Co.
- The Writer's Center
- Washington Conservatory of Music
- Washington Musica Viva
- Washington Print Foundation
- Washington Revels
- Washington School of Photography
- Word Dance Theater
- Zemer Chai